On Thursday during 4th period, my teacher called on me asking me one simple question.
"Ongoy, what did you grade it?"
Let me catch you up. We watched the inauguration of President Barrack Obama. He made us all put our heads down and close are eyes. And he asked us to raise our hand when he says allowed the grade we would give the speech. I didn't give Obama an A but I did raise my hand when he said B. Once A-F was called we were all allowed to raise our heads once again. He started asking the class if anyone would like to say what they graded his speech and why. A few people raised their hands and he called on them to answer.
I sat in silence while I listened to everyone talk. I don't care for Obama much so I didn't want to raise my hand like everyone else and "praise" him for everything he said. But my luck, he called on me and asked me.
So I said my opinion. "I gave it a B because I am sick of hearing him talk about being black. I get that he's black. THE WHOLE WORLD gets that he's black so why does he need to address it AGAIN? If his whole thing is "change" than why doesn't he change what he says in every speech. He talks about how equality is key and everyone is born equal so why does he have to bring up that his father wasn't treated equally like everyone else? I get it. Get on with the presidency."
My opinion I guess offended a lot of people and I was getting a lot of flack for it. First of all, I didn't feel good so I didn't even want to argue in the first place but of course everyone was basically calling me a racist because of what I said. Second of all, someone took it too far.
When I got home from school I decided to go on MySpace and check out the bulletins that were being posted because I was bored and didn't have much to do (Being sick didn't leave much to do.. Computer or sleep.. I chose computer). Well a girl posted a bulletin that said "For my Poli Sci per. 4 class.. The hw isn't due tomorrow is it?" and it was the whole inauguration speech. Word for WORD. She also put "notice the things that are bold." So I scrolled down to check out what she had to say. Of course the things that were bolded were the parts of his speech that he referred to his heritage being black.
Now this is a girl that I like. I like debating with her because we are very opinionated about very different things. We love to argue but we never take it too far. This was something that she took too far. I commented her bulletin telling her that the homework was due tomorrow and she messaged me. She said she felt guilty for posting that bulletin and she didn't want to offend me. I wasn't upset at all, just frustrated. I really thought that she took it too far. I am all for debating in class and even outside of class, but posting stuff on the internet about it is a little much.
It taught me one thing.. Agreeing to disagree can save a lot of things.. Time, a friendship, and most of all a lot of hate.
I am definitely going to try and keep my temper in that class, cause God knows.. I NEED IT.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment